Restricted Areas


Trekking in Western Sikkim

Trekking permits are issued in Delhi (Sikkim Tourism) or Gangtok and takes 1 to 2 working days. (For people who have time, they can apply for trekking permit after arrival in Sikkim). However, for group travel, it is best to apply in advance as mentioned below.

It is best to apply for a tourist Visa if you are trekking in Sikkim and not an E Visa as your visa details need to be sent in order for us to process the trek permit.

Minimum no. of pax: 2 persons
Maximum number of day: 16 which can be extended upto a month
Restricted area permit application form to be filled
2 passport photo/photocopy of India visa page/passport page required
Information required: Name/DOB/pp details/visa details/address/occupation required
Application to be submitted to Sikkim Tourism - max 2 working days.

West Sikkim Ridge trek via Uttarey

Minimum 2 persons required.
An inner line permit as well as trek permit is required.
6 passport photos and 6 copies of passport and India visa page required for the Ridge trek beginning in Uttarey.
Personal information – Father Name, address, occupation required.

Sightseeing of Gangtok / Rumtek

Permission can be obtained at the Indian embassy of country of origin. Mention needs to be made that you wish to visit Gangtok, Rumtek, Pemayangtse and your India visa will have a stamp permitting this visit for 10 days.

Permit can also be obtained at point of entry into Sikkim at Rangpo, Melli or even at Bagdogra airport, Siliguri and Darjeeling. This is given immediately. 1 person can also apply

North Sikkim

Foreigners can visit Lachung, Lachen, Yumthang, Chopta Valley but cannot visit Gurudongmar lake.

Minimum no. of pax: 2 persons
Permit obtained for maximum 1 week from Gangtok.
Permit application along with 2 passport photos, copy of passport page and India visa page required.


Spiti via Kinnaur

Minimum no. of pax: 2 persons
Days: Any number of days

Restricted area application form to be filled
2 passport photos/photocopy of India visa and passport page required
2 passport photos to be hand carried
Permit can also be obtained at Rekong Peo but can be done in Shimla. Passport needs to be shown at time of obtaining permit.

Spiti only No restrictions if going and returning via Manali.

For Kinnaur: Sarahan and Sangla valley requires no permit. Permit point from Rekong Peo only and again at Sumdo near Tabo.

Other parts of Himachal: No permits required.



After crossing Bugdiar from Munsyiari to Milam Glacier: Restricted area.
Minimum 3 copies of passport and visa, 3 pp size photos, Father’s name and contact no required.
Presence of all persons needed at the District Magistrate’s office (SDM).

Garhwal region: Most sections remain open to trekkers and no permits are required barring a few areas.

Crossing Kalindi pass from Gangotri to Badrinath or vice versa: Restricted area.

Minimum of 4 persons is required and presence of all persons needed at the District Magistrate’s office in Uttarkashi for permit.
Doctor’s medical certicate is required.
Lamkhaga pass: Crossing into Himachal Pradesh from Jaundhar glacier into Baspa valley. Minimum 4 persons required and permit needs to be applied in advance. Presence required for permit issuance. (2 copies of passport photo, passport page, India visa page required).



Foreigners have been exempted from obtaining Inner Line Permit to visit Nubra for a period of 7 days upto the restricted area point. Almost all routes are open for trekking in Ladakh and Zanskar and no permits required except for the places mentioned below.

Tsomoriri / Dha Hanu / Pangong Lake

For these areas, permits are obtained from Deputy Commissioner's office in Leh: 1 working day.

Online application will be processed
Photocopy of passport and India Visa page required along with a passport photo

Minimum: 2 persons
Maximum period of stay at each place: 7 days.

Darjeeling / Kalimpong

No restricted area permit required.


Minimum 2 persons required for permit.

Application form needs to be sent 45 days in advance along with 2 passport photos, copy of passport and India visa page. Permit applied through the Resident Commissioner of Arunachal Pradesh in Delhi / Kolkata or Itanagar.

Application forms for all permits would be sent by us and assistance given for the permit processing.